Monday, March 8, 2010

No Wonder I'm Broke!



With Hunter's approaching birthday coupled with the warm hints of spring, I have had ample opportunity to shop for the perfect gifts only to realize that Hunter's life has become one continuous birthday. I am such a sucker for that smile, that giggle, that look of amazement and wonder that pops up every time I get to present something new and exciting to that little booger. While I cherish everyday of his young life, I can't wait for each new development opening a door to new understanding...and something new I can teach him.

Those who know me know I am not into "licensed character" toys, or pretty much any toy that can be bought at Wal-Mart. I prefer learning toys, eco-friendly toys, and natural, wooden toys. It doesn't help having a toy store that caters to exactly that type of mom right down the street, either.
Amuse Toys has been a life-saver this winter. Their selection of toys has provided me and Hunter with hours of fantastic play while giving me an opportunity to teach him great skills. And I think the stars aligned when I walked in there to get Hunter's birthday presents this last week. After weeks of waiting, Claudia's shipments of her much sought-after toys are finally making it back into the store. When I walk in there, I can't control myself. If I only get him this, it will mean he will have to wait at least TWO WEEKS before I can get him that! Poor thing!!!! He's going to miss out on so much, and he doesn't even realize it! Italian-made building sets, and recycled plastic excavators! Oh my! Craft sets galore, my particular weakness in that Hunter and I both enjoy that! And of course the endless array of learning toys, puzzles, and games. Keep in mind that these are all items just in Hunter's age range. This store caters from birth to adult. I'm thinking I should just buy stock about now.
Anyway, I bought both items, and I left requests for two more for when they arrive. Then I also have another running list of items to look for and buy regularly. This doesn't even come close to getting him taken care of, though. Amazon.com is another monster.
I have already made another order from home for a box full of Crayola craft and art goodness that should be at my door today. Oh yeah, we need a potty seat, too! What's that? A sippy cup I might also like? Of course! Throw that in, too! New shoes? I MUST get the new Converse shark low-tops...and I did. Now I am planning a 3-D cake and full-blown party for this weekend not to mention preparing for the LONG AWAITED arrival of my mother to Baltimore for the first time.
Maybe I will have enough money left by the time she gets here to actually go out. With my birthday around the corner as well, maybe she will be able to force me to buy something for myself. It's been awhile!
Also, I know the picture is precious, but it makes such a great point that I seem to miss all the time. That look of pure delight is coming from inside an empty cardboard box brought out from the closet. Cost...nothing = Smile...priceless!

1 comment:

  1. Very funny. Thanks for the plug Shelly. Hunter is a very lucky little man. I hope he enjoys all his goodies.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete