Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kung Pao Chicken


I finally broke down and made one of my favorite Asian dishes! The Kung Pao Chicken at Big Bowl in Reston, VA is an all-time favorite of mine, but it is now over an hour away. While I usually like it best with wide rice noodles, there were none to be found at the market. So it was Thai Jasmine rice instead.
To develop the perfect recipe, I took the ingredients and measurements I liked best from some of my favorite chefs, re-creating it into my own. It turned out great, and I hope to make it much more often!


Kung Pao Chicken

2 large chicken breasts, chopped
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. corn starch

Sauce:
1/4 c. soy sauce
3 T rice wine vinegar (1/2 white and 1/2 apple cider vinegar will do)
1 T peanut oil (canola oil will do)
2 T sugar
1 T corn starch
3 T chicken broth (or water)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 inch fresh ginger root, minced (or 1/2 t dried ginger)
4 dried chili peppers, halved

1/4 cup roasted peanuts

4 cups cooked rice or wide rice noodles

Prepare the sauce in a small bowl by mixing sauce ingredients together well and set aside. Start rice or noodles in a separate pot. Mix chicken with soy sauce and corn starch in a bowl until all pieces are coated with a thick paste. In large skillet or wok, heat 2 T cooking oil and add chicken. Heat until cooked through, turning to cook all sides. Add peanuts and saute with chicken for about 1 minute. Add sauce and stir until sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Add a little water if it becomes too thick. Serve immediately over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment