Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegan Thai Lettuce Wraps

I LOVE Thai Lettuce Wraps but found the meatless ones quite bland and boring. I had to find a way to enjoy these tasty wraps in a way that complimented my new plant-based diet. After looking at several recipes already out there, I just couldn't find one that suited me. I closed the laptop and followed my taste buds. What resulted was a great first-time-try masterpiece!




I had several of the ingredients already. Just some fresh green onions and cashews completed my grocery list. I started with the brown rice first, since it takes a while to cook. I prepared the rest of the dish during that time.
What resulted was phenomenal. Even my meat-eating husband loved them!


Vegan Thai Lettuce Wraps

 Simmer Sauce

1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Sugar
4 T Rice Wine Vinegar
2 T Thai Style Chili Sauce

Filling

1 Bag Vegan Meal Starter (ground beef)
2 Large Portabello Mushrooms, chopped
1 Cup Cashews, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice (About 1/2 cup rice in 1 cup water, cooked.)
1/2 Cup Green Onions, Chopped

Dipping Sauce

4 T Hoisin
4 T Thai Style Chili Sauce
1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
2 T Sugar
1 Tsp Sriracha

Romaine Lettuce Leaves

Begin to cook brown rice if needed.
Prepare Simmer Sauce and set aside.
Prepare Dipping Sauce while rice is cooking as well.
In large skillet, heat 2 T oil. Put in mushrooms and stir for one minute. Add garlic and cashews and cook one minute more. Pour in bag of meatless grounds and continue to cook on medium heat until grounds are heated through. 5-7 Minutes.
Add in the two cups of cooked brown rice and stir together. Pour simmer sauce over mixture and toss to coat. Add in green onions and toss lightly. Remove from heat.
Fill Romaine Leaves with mixture. Drizzle with Dipping Sauce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment