Friday, February 26, 2010

The Importance of Brownies

 

I was at the end of my rope. It has been a long, hard winter, today being no different with gusty winds and flurries to once again trap us indoors. The craft bin was exhausted, and the toys were all becoming old. I just wanted chocolate. Aha! Chocolate! One box of mix left in my cabinet, and it was my go-to brownie mix! Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix is semi-prepared dessert of the gods.
Having already decided that Hunter would be a future chef, I made this another great opportunity to introduce him to the nuances of baking.
I greased the pan, pre-measured the oil and water, pre-heated the oven, and picked two eggs from the fridge. All were placed at the table with a nice, easy-to-grip wooden spoon. I poured the mix while Hunter poured the liquids. We cracked the eggs together, Hunter assisting by holding my hand. Then the stirring began. I got the ingredients initially blended, then I let Hunter at it. My walls suffered slightly, but the first days giggles were worth it. Hunter helped pour, and the baking began. I didn't turn my back long to place the pan in the oven, but it was just long enough for Hunter to figure out the real treat was still in the bowl. I came back to find him engrossed in the sweet chocolate nectar that all kids, and many adults crave...the batter left in the bowl. He was so proud of himself that I let him have at it, hoping that the eggs I chose were raised with more care than the recent tomatoes making the news.
Clean up was easy, and the images priceless. This was a great outcome to another experiment in parenting. Go Brownies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment